This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Rules - Required Field

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:00 PM
I just found this solution on Friday and have really enjoyed learning about it. I am curious if you have any intentions on creating the ability to make a field required in your rules? You have Read Only, Visible, Editable but not Required. I'm guessing I could add some javascript to do this via html snippet but it would be a great feature if it was an option in your rules.
Coordinator
Mar 23, 2015 at 9:06 PM
As general rule, I'm trying to fill in gaps in what is available to administrators out of the box (OOTB). At the same time, I don't want to spend time reinventing the wheel (I.e. taking OOTB functionality and doing it over again in a different way). Many of the requests I get have to do with validation (required field being the simplest case). But I can already make any field required in OOTB SharePoint, so what is the advantage of doing this differently in SPEasyForms? The same is true of validation in general, you can do some pretty sophisticated validation using Excel-like macros at the field level or the list level. When you do it at the list level, you can do validation rules that enforce relationships between 2 or more fields (i.e. end date is greater than start date). I'm not sure that much more is needed, but I'm still open to talking about it.

I guess that there are a couple of arguments for rolling it into SPEasyForms. First, it would be a step in the direction of SPEasyForms being a one stop shop for forms customizations, as opposed to jumping around between a few different list settings pages to configure everything you want to customize. If the Single Page Application (SPA) concept is of any merit, then this could be enough of an argument by itself. Also, field validation using macros appears to be highly under-utilized, I'm guessing because the macro syntax is not well known or well documented, and it's a bit too cryptic for the average administrator.

Anyway, I have thought about this and I'll continue to think about it, but it's not on my short list of features because I think it is less 'necessary' due to what's already available OOTB. If I do add some validation functionality to SPEasyForms, it would probably just be a GUI front end to the OOTB functionality, so I'd just let you set validation rules through a GUI somewhat like the visibility rules, which would ultimately write it back out to SharePoint as an Excel macro and let SharePoint enforce the validation. In order to do this, I'd need to figure out how to set these rules through web services, which I don't know how to do right now and I don't even know for sure that there is a web service for this.

Thanks for the feedback,
Joe
Marked as answer by mcsheaj on 3/24/2015 at 3:32 PM
Mar 24, 2015 at 7:24 PM
This makes perfect sense. I appreciate the quick reply. If it ends up being possible I think the ability to create validation rules from within your UI woulud be a fantastic enhancement. Those rules are not easy to create and having everything in one place for hiding, making read only and required would be a huge win. Thanks again for this great solution! I anxiously await the next release.