This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Larger Form Designer Region

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:11 PM
Just started using SPEasyForms and am impressed. Had a quick question though -- are there any plans to making the form designer region a bit larger?
Coordinator
Dec 5, 2014 at 6:50 PM
Edited Dec 6, 2014 at 1:58 AM
Thanks for the feedback. There are no plans, but it is certainly doable, and in fact easy to do, and I'm not opposed to talking about it if you'd like. First, terminology is always a bear in starting these conversations, so just to be clear I assume when you say the form designer region that you're talking about the right-hand side of the screen where I display a visual representation of the form. Is that correct?

If so, I used to make that stretch to the size of the browser window, but modified the CSS to make a maximum width. The same is true for the forms themselves, the tabs and accordions now stretch with the browser window but only to a maximum width. I did this because stretched really big, things like tabs started to look pretty funky. For instance the tabs would get really, really wide, but the controls in the tabs wouldn't get any bigger leaving a lot of white space on the right-hand side of the tabs. That could be fixed to a degree by allowing multiple columns inside a tab or accordion, but that's more than I was going to bite off for version 1, maybe in a future release. I could also put in a settings page, where you could override some of my defaults, so you could set a max width and I would use it; set it to 0 and it would stretch indefinitely. That's probably post version 1 too.

I suppose there is really only one other region you could be talking about, which is the properties pane on the left-hand side. I've been a little inconsistent in my use of terminology and I think I referred to that as the design surface at some point in my documentation. If this is what you're talking about, what specifically are you looking for. Larger fonts? More white space?

Currently, the left-hand pane is a fixed width of 280px, the right-hand form view is a maximum width of 1280px. The font-size on the left-hand size is 0.7em, pretty small so it will fit in 280px. I'd be happy to take a look at it with any of those numbers bumped up, and if it looks ok, go ahead and release version 1 with those numbers bumped up in a week or so. So how much bigger do you want it?

Also, because I generally used relative fonts, the editor responds pretty well to changing the text size in the browser, so everything gets appropriately bigger if you bump that up (you can use ctrl+ or View=>Zoom on the menu of IE or Firefox to play with that).

Anyway, decisions are made by those who show up, and you're the first one to provide me feedback on this, so I'm amenable to changing it to suit your preferences if I can narrow down exactly what you want.
Marked as answer by mcsheaj on 1/16/2015 at 1:57 PM
Coordinator
Dec 6, 2014 at 2:06 AM
Just for reference, the font size in the form representation on the right side is 1em, so a little less than 50% bigger than the left pane. Originally, I used the smaller font on the left pane because I also showed the internal name of the field and it was cluttered such that the left pane seemed to take 50% of the editor leaving the form representation small, which I didn't like so I shrunk the pane to show more form view. Showing the internal name was useful to me in the early days, but most people don't care about it so I eventually removed it (I actually just hid the cell, so I can still get to it in developer tools). Anyway, I guess I could bump the font back up a bit and widen the pane?