This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

SPEasy Form hangs (working on it) for 3-4 mins w/ IE before form appears

Feb 7 at 4:00 PM
I am using SPEasyForms on several sites within a Site Collection. I an having trouble with just one of the forms. The most complex of the three form features 7 tabs and 38 total input fields. Some of the users are using IE 11 on Windows 7 64 bit. All of the SPEasyForms open in Dialogue boxes. My fix for the Windows 7 IE11 users was to switch to Firefox. The SPEasyForm works fine for the same users in Firefox.

Is there a known issue with IE11? Has anyone else run into a similar problem? Anyone have a solution to offer?

Thank you in advance,
SharePoint Survivor
(Hi, I'm a SharePoint Survivor...)
Coordinator
Feb 7 at 4:09 PM
There are many issues with IE in general, but none specific to SPEasyForms ;). I'd have to know a lot more about your list and the SPEasyForms configuration for it to even begin to guess what the issue is. Ideally, I'd like to see a capture of the network tab in IE developer tools from a workstation that is having the issue, so I could get an idea of what resource (or resources) are taking so long.

I can say for certain that I've configured lists with more than 38 fields and more than 7 tabs with SPEasyForms and not run into the issues you're describing with IE 11 (although I haven't done it on Windows 7 in some time).

Joe
Feb 7 at 4:50 PM
Joe,
Thank you for replying so quickly!!

I am unable to send you the screenshot from the DevTools.

One of my fellow SharePoint Survivors asked me if I have a lot of hidden fields on this form. He had experienced this issue with an abundance of hidden fields. The answer is yes. This list is just over 100 columns so about 60 fields are hidden.

Is that the answer? Are the 60 hidden fields hanging the form in IE and not in FF?

If the answer is yes, can you recommend a solution?

Thank you in advance,
SharePoint Survivor
Coordinator
Feb 7 at 11:29 PM
Edited Feb 8 at 12:01 AM
So the answer is maybe. I haven't hidden that many fields in an SPEasyForms configured form, but I have hidden nearly that many fields in forms I've developed for customers in the past using the same techniques, and they worked ok on IE. It may also be a problem with just having that many visibility rules on a single form (i.e. not specific to hiding fields).

Not sure, but I can look into it when I get a chance. I'm pretty in the weeds right now, so that may not be too soon, but I'll let you know if I find anything.

I suspect this problem has been reported to me before, but the people describing the problem weren't able to give me enough detail for me to follow up on. There are definitely limitations when doing this kind of DOM manipulation, and those limitations are almost always reached first on IE, but if I can reproduce it I MAY be able to address it some.

Joe
Feb 8 at 12:56 PM
Joe,
I deleted the visibility rules to see if that made a difference and it did not. The SPEasyForm still took 3-4 minutes to open. So I deleted the SPEasyForm altogether and the vanilla SharePoint form still takes 3-4 minutes to open!

My apologies for not trying that first.

So now I'm looking to SharePoint support for answers.

When I look at the Network info from the IE Developer Tools, I can clearly see where the hang is occurring. this happens 19 times in a row:

URL: /_layouts/15/images/blank.gif?rev=23
Protocol: HTTPSMethod: GET
Result: 200
Type: image/gif
Received: 0.60 KB (3 times and 436 B - 16 times)
Taken: 210.32 s
Initiator: frame navigate

I'm still open to any suggestions you may have...

Thank you in advance,
SharePoint Survivor
Coordinator
Feb 8 at 1:29 PM
Edited Feb 8 at 1:35 PM
No problem; I would have assumed it was an SPEasyForms issue too ;). It could be a number of things, but one thing that I've often seen in the past is if the list has a lot of lookup fields, it can quickly get very slow. Microsoft says more than 8 is a problem. I wouldn't say that what you're seeing in the network tab looks like it's related to lookups though, but you never know.

Joe
Marked as answer by mcsheaj on 2/8/2017 at 12:18 PM
Coordinator
Feb 8 at 2:31 PM
One quick question: when you say you deleted SPEasyForms altogether, what exactly do you mean? Did you disable the SPEasyForms solution? Or did you delete the SPEasyForms javascript files in the Style Library? Either one of those would be enough to eliminate SPEasyForms as the culprit. But if all you did was delete the SPEasyForms configuration for that list, there is still a slim chance SPEasyForms could be in play. And if you did just remove the configuration, try deactivating the solution and let me know if that helped.

Joe
Marked as answer by mcsheaj on 2/8/2017 at 12:18 PM
Feb 8 at 2:49 PM
Joe,
Thank you for your insight. I had only deleted the configuration file in Site Assets. So I went to Solutions and deactivated SPEasyForms and the problem still exists. The form still takes about 5 mins to launch.

Good to know that with SPEasyForms Solution Deactivated, I can rule out that SPEasyForms had anything to do with the problem.

I'm still open to any suggestions you may have.

Thank you again,
SharePoint Survivor
Coordinator
Feb 8 at 7:27 PM
Yeah, it was pretty unlikely to be an SPEasyForms issue once the configuration was gone, but obviously I need to do a little work each time a form is loaded to check if there is a configuration or not, so if that check was what was making the page load so slowly then it's still an SPEasyForms issue. But when you deactivate the solution, my script doesn't get loaded at all, and I don't change anything in the list or the form at all except at runtime, so if I'm not running then I'm not the problem.

Joe