This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Cooperation 'SPEasyForms' with 'SharePoint 2013 Advanced Lookup' and working in the context of different content types

Oct 24, 2016 at 8:38 AM
Hi Joe,
As a reply for your suggestion just created new discussion topic. On the beginning few words of introduction from my previous post.
Also use speasyforms as a excellent tool but experienced some problems when item's saving with external data. In my case use some other feature from codeplex called
"SharePoint 2013 Advanced Lookup" from https://sharepointlookup.codeplex.com. This is nice tool too, I can use as a tool for lookup (to external list) with autocomplete together. But when have activated both - speasyforms and some field as a advanced lookup type field created by Advanced Lookup feature - can't save item (whether it's creating new one or modifying existing).
What's more if you activate just one feature - speasyforms or advanced lookup - than everything is OK and features do not bite :).
Can you check it and solve to have a possibility to use both fetures together?
And can you update speasyforms to work in the context of different content types because looks like doesn't work? For example I'm making various settings in speasyforms for fields in content type A, then save settings, then change content type to B from drop down list. When have a changed content type to B then still can see settings from previous content type A. Again making changes on fileds in content type B, save and change to content type A and I can see changes made on content type B.

Arek
Coordinator
Oct 25, 2016 at 2:54 PM
Edited Oct 25, 2016 at 3:24 PM
Hi Arek,

On the first issue, have you tried the latest version of SPEasyForms, v2015.01.05 uploaded last Thursday October 20th? That version has a couple of bug fixes in it, and the bugs it fixes could prevent forms from being submit-able, particularly if they have other JavaScript customizations running on the same form.

As for the second issue, and as explained in both the documentation and the videos, SPEasyForms is working as designed. There is only one configuration per list, used for all content types in the list. The purpose of switching content types in the editor is to be able to configure fields that are only in one content type, not to create a whole new configuration.

A long time ago I did anticipate possibly allowing you to create a completely different configurations for different content types, but in 3 years nobody has ever asked for it, I haven't found a need for it myself, and it would be a ton of work.

It works for me as is because I think given the way views work in SharePoint, two content types work best in a single list if they are more alike than different, in which case you'd probably want their SPEasyForms configuration to be more alike than different. i.e. You can't exactly configure different views for different content types, as in you can filter for content type but all of the fields in the list are still available to the view. So, If the content types more different than alike, they may be better in different lists.

Also, since containers and parts of containers are hidden if they are empty, you can put all of the fields from one content type on tabs, and all of the fields for the other content type on an accordion, and the tabs will only be shown for the tabs content type and the accordion will only be shown for the accordion content type, which isn't quite the same as completely separate configurations but it's close (the biggest limitation being that shared fields can only be configured the same for both, like Title).

Anyway, given all of that, and the fact that it would be a ton of work, I'm not inclined to do this unless a bunch of people indicate they would like it. In the meantime, the work around is if you absolutely need completely different forms for different content types, put them in different lists.

Joe
Marked as answer by mcsheaj on 4/1/2017 at 1:23 PM
Oct 26, 2016 at 6:50 AM
Joe, thank you for your comprehensive answer and involvment in the project!

Answering the question - yes, updated latest version v2015.01.05. The whole procedure I did: deactivate feature > restart IIS > retract solution > delete solution > restart IIS > add solution > implement solution > restart IIS > activate feature. Unfortunately nothing changed... :/

Thanks for your advises to working with content type and so on. I will take them into consideration on my projects.

Have you checked if the same issue what mine is in your environment? Mean conflict between speasyforms and advanced lookup.

I'll be obliged if you would answer. Regards

Arek
Coordinator
Oct 26, 2016 at 1:31 PM
Edited Oct 26, 2016 at 1:32 PM
I haven't checked yet. I wanted to make sure you were on the latest version first. I will check when I get a chance and let you know what I find. Depending on the complexity of the problem, I may or may not be able to address it, but I'll let you know either way.

Joe