This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Does it work with SP Online New Experience

Oct 18, 2016 at 1:06 PM
Does this work with the New Experience setting enabled or do you have to change list back to Classic. Looking to try this out shortly.
Coordinator
Oct 20, 2016 at 2:53 PM
Edited Oct 20, 2016 at 2:59 PM
The answer is a firm yes...no...maybe? Let me 'splain:

Yes - When you turn on the new experience in say the admin center, the options is 'New Experience (auto detect)'. As I understand it the auto detect part of that is that MS will detect if your list is using customizations that aren't supported by the new experience (which by the way is pretty much any customizations) and roll back to the classic experience if it finds any. Unsupported customizations includes things like ribbon custom actions (since there is no ribbon) and script link custom actions. SPEasyForms uses both of these. Which should mean that if you've activated SPEasyForms, you won't get the new experience on most lists regardless of if you've said to use it.

No - There is no supported way to customize forms in the properties pane of the new experience, so if auto detect doesn't work and you get the new experience even on lists where SPEasyForms customizations have been applied, they will not work. Again, if auto detect does work you will be reverted to the classic view where SPEasyForms will work fine.

Maybe - Even if it works today, in my opinion MS is rolling out changes to SharePoint online at a reckless pace with inadequate QA, so it may not work tomorrow. My biggest hurdle to testing/debugging client side code in SharePoint online is the slew of exceptions thrown from MS code. I often get as many as a half a dozen exceptions thrown by things like the suite bar proxy on every page load, and this is in production, so even if my code works it's very difficult to debug it. In that kind of environment, it is hard to bet on any customization working tomorrow or in the future on SharePoint online. Heck, it's hard to bet on any Out of Box stuff working tomorrow or in the future, I routinely get Out of Box stuff not working for periods of time on site collections where there are no customizations installed.

Joe
Marked as answer by mcsheaj on 10/25/2016 at 8:23 AM
Oct 24, 2016 at 4:15 AM
Some further findings..
  • Lists using New Experience, show a "SPEasyForm" toolbar button above the new experience list, but clicking it does nothing.
  • Have to set list to Classic (List settings, advanced, bottom option) for SPEasyForm to work
  • Even lookup lists need to be Classic, otherwise they will not shows fields in the cascade lookup definition form. Also need to Clear Cache after you change the lookup list to classic.
Next, I will be looking at how to customise the layout a bit more, field widths, putting time entry box below instead of beside date, etc.
Coordinator
Oct 25, 2016 at 3:23 PM
HI Gary,

So what you're telling me is that with regards to customizations, Microsoft hasn't really implemented the new experience the way they said they would? That's...not...really very surprising! If they are showing a button for SPEasyForms but the button doesn't actually work, that is their bug to fix. I may be able to detect that it's in new experience and hide the button myself, but it seems more likely to me that they are showing my button but not firing my JavaScript/code behind at all, in which case there isn't much I can do about it and I expect they will fix it...someday? Anyway, I will look at it when I get a chance, but considering the pace of changes in SharePoint online right now, I'm not going to knock myself out trying to track down issues with the new experience quickly right now ;) (especially if there is a work around, i.e. use classic view).

The lookup issue is a bit more interesting, but my guess is that I'm parsing the edit form of the lookup list to get the list of fields in the lookup list, instead of the web services, and the form structure has completely changed in the new experience. I don't remember for sure, but it was probably because it was faster and returned less garbage (i.e. the list schema has a ton of hidden/calculated fields in it that I don't need). Anyway, if that's the case I can probably fix that one, but again there's a work around so I don't feel compelled to drop everything and fix it now ;).

Thanks a bunch for testing it out and reporting back. SharePoint online is certainly a pretty big priority for me, and while it seems somewhat unlikely that SPEasyForms will ever actually work with the new experience, I can probably make it work better over time. If Microsoft ever creates an API through which we can customize the new experience like they say they're going to, SPEasyForms may actually work with it in some limited fashion, but it will probably be a very different thing than what SPEasyForms does today, and I probably won't do a major refactor like that without dropping support for SharePoint 2010 (for 2010 users I will still support the latest version that works on 2010, but if I do any major refactor most of what SPEasyForms does today should use client side rendering, and the only reason it doesn't is because client side rendering isn't available in 2010, so the next major overhaul will not support 2010). In the worst case, for the button that doesn't work, I can change from creating the ribbon button declaritivly to creating it programmatically in JavaScript, in which case I can almost certainly hide it where SPEasyForms will not work.

Joe
Marked as answer by mcsheaj on 10/25/2016 at 8:23 AM