This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Cannot save list item with a external Data column

Aug 8, 2016 at 2:35 PM
Hi,
Thanks for this great tool! I´m using it in several list and libraries. But now I´ve created a custom list with an external data column, and I´m using the default form for tests. But it´s not possible to save or modify a list item. The form stucks on saving. The <Save> Button is grey and nothing happens. When I disable the feature everything works fine again. Do someone have any suggestions?

Best regards,
Thomas
Coordinator
Aug 9, 2016 at 10:30 PM
Unfortunately, I can't say one way or the other whether SPEasyForms should be able to work with external data columns (though it sounds like it doesn't). I've never worked with external data columns.

Joe
Aug 10, 2016 at 6:32 AM
Dear Joe,
thank you for your quick reply!
Is seems to be a part of the JavaScript on saving the form. I´m using a SharePoint 2013 environment. May be there are some differences to SharePoint 2010. Is it possible, that you show me position of saving the list item in your source code, so that I´m able to try some changes by myself? Or is it possible to disable the feature in those Websites, where I need this external columns?

Best Regards,
Thomas
Coordinator
Aug 10, 2016 at 11:35 PM
Edited Aug 10, 2016 at 11:38 PM
So I'm not actually saving the form, the out of the box JavaScript is doing that. I am modifying the onclick event handler on the save button, to change the order of things just so SharePoint validation occurs before my PreSaveItem method (on 2013 and later, 2010 already did the validation before PreSaveItem). I suspect mucking with that event handler may be what's causing your issue.

And I am implementing a PreSaveItem method to check for validation errors on the page and for instance select the first tab with a validation error. But all of this should only be occurring on forms that have been configured with SPEasyForms. Are you having these problems on any site where SPEasyForms is enabled, even on forms that have not been configured with SPEasyForms?

Also, SPEasyForms is a site collection feature, there is no way to deactivate it within individual sites within the site collection. Somebody else did ask for something like that, but sandbox solutions have numerous problems with site features, namely when you upgrade you have to deactivate the solution, which deactivates the features on all sites, but when you reactivate the solution it doesn't reactivate even on sites where it was previously activated. For somebody with a lot of sites, that makes sandbox site features pretty useless, so I haven't pursued that.

It's going to take a bit of time to figure out and write up the parts of the code that you might want to look at.

Joe
Coordinator
Oct 12, 2016 at 11:41 PM
Hi Thomas,

I'm sorry to take so long getting back to you on this, but real life sucks sometimes ;). Anyway, I've done another release of SPEasyForms today, v2015.01.04. The issues addressed in this release are:

Issue 52: SPEasyForms is unnecessarily invasive on forms for lists which have no configuration
Issue 53 - Conflicts with PreSaveAction

So why am I telling you this? Because I think that there is an excellent chance that both of these issues address parts of the problems you were seeing with external data columns.

The first issue is that I was doing more than I intended to do on forms for lists for which there is no SPEasyForms configuration, including overriding PreSaveAction. I suspect that's the reason why you're forms with external data columns are broken site collection wide, so fixing this at a bare minimum should mean that lists with external data columns and no SPEasyForms configuration should work properly.

The second issue is that if there is a custom PreSaveAction method, I was unintentionally overriding it instead of augmenting it. I suspect that forms with an external data column have a custom PreSaveAction to save the data back to the external source, and my mishandling of that action caused the form to not submit but also not display any error message. The PreSaveAction bug is fixed, so if I'm correct lists with external data columns and an SPEasyForms configuration should also work now.

I don't have any test farms with external content types defined, so I haven't actually tested that these fixes address your issues, but it would surprise me if they don't. Anyway, if you get a chance to test it, it would be helpful if you could let me know where I stand.

Thanks,
Joe
Marked as answer by mcsheaj on 10/13/2016 at 11:40 AM
Oct 13, 2016 at 6:15 AM

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your info! I will test the new release in my devenv and let you know about my experiences.

Best Regards,

Thomas

Von: mcsheaj [email removed]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 13. Oktober 2016 01:41
An: Thomas Spitzer - asut computer <[email removed]>
Betreff: Re: Cannot save list item with a external Data column [speasyforms:656988]

Hi Thomas,

I'm sorry to take so long getting back to you on this, but real life sucks sometimes ;). Anyway, I've done another release of SPEasyForms today, v2015.01.04. The issues addressed in this release are:

Issue 52: SPEasyForms is unnecessarily invasive on forms for lists which have no configuration

So why am I telling you this? Because I think that there is an excellent chance that both of these issues address parts of the problems you were seeing with external data columns.

The first issue is that I was doing more than I intended to do on forms for lists for which there is no SPEasyForms configuration, including overriding PreSaveAction. I suspect that's the reason why you're forms with external data columns are broken site collection wide, so fixing this at a bare minimum should mean that lists with external data columns and no SPEasyForms configuration should work properly.

The second issue is that if there is a custom PreSaveAction method, I was unintentionally overriding it instead of augmenting it. I suspect that forms with an external data column have a custom PreSaveAction to save the data back to the external source, and my mishandling of that action caused the form to not submit but also not display any error message. The PreSaveAction bug is fixed, so if I'm correct lists with external data columns and an SPEasyForms configuration should also work now.

I don't have any test farms with external content types defined, so I haven't actually tested that these fixes address your issues, but it would surprise me if they don't. Anyway, if you get a chance to test it, it would be helpful if you could let me know where I stand.

Thanks,
Joe

Oct 13, 2016 at 2:54 PM

Hi Joe,

I´ve found some time on testing of your new solution in my devenv. Congratulations, it works !!! You did a great job! THANK YOU

Best Regards,

Thomas

Von: mcsheaj [email removed]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 13. Oktober 2016 01:41
An: T
homas Spitzer - asut computer <[email removed]>
Betreff: Re: Cannot save list item with a external Data column [speasyforms:656988]

Hi Thomas,

Thanks,
Joe

Coordinator
Oct 13, 2016 at 6:40 PM
Excellent. Glad it helped and thanks for testing.

Joe
Oct 20, 2016 at 11:16 AM
Hi Joe,
Also use speasyforms as a excellent tool but experienced some problems when item's saving with external data. In my case use some other feature from codeplex called
"SharePoint 2013 Advanced Lookup" from https://sharepointlookup.codeplex.com. This is nice tool too, I can use as a tool for lookup (to external list) with autocomplete together. But when have activated both - speasyforms and some field as a advanced lookup type field created by Advanced Lookup feature - can't save item (whether it's creating new one or modifying existing).
Can you check it and solve to have a possibility to use both fetures together? Or can you update speasyforms to work with lookups from external lists with autocomplete depending on the content type? :D
Hope not to much wishes :)
Greatful for current job!
Thx in advance

Cheers Arek
Coordinator
Oct 20, 2016 at 9:39 PM
Edited Oct 20, 2016 at 9:44 PM
Hi Arek,

I've released a couple of minor bug fixes in the last week or so, both of which involved the possibility of not being able to submit forms (especially if other customizations are installed). Try to download the latest version (2015.01.05) and see if that fixes your issue.

If it does not, you can open another discussion topic as this one has been answered and is therefore closed, but I have to say that I am only willing to go so far in debugging problems that involve interactions with the myriad of other form customizations that could be installed or implemented. SPEasyForms was a pretty big undertaking, and testing it is enough of a burden without testing it with other customizations too.

Anyway, if it still does not work, let me know and I'll test it to see if I'm doing something wrong that conflicts with the 'SharePoint 2013 Advanced Lookup'. If so, I'll fix it if I can.

Joe
Oct 24, 2016 at 6:18 AM

Dear Arek,

please send this mail to “mcsheaj [email removed]”. I´m not the developer of this tool, just a user. J

Best Regards,

Thomas

Von: Arecki [email removed]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 20. Oktober 2016 13:17
An: Thomas Spitzer - asut computer <[email removed]>

Hi Joe,
Also use speasyforms as a excellent tool but experienced some problems when item's saving with external data. In my case use some other feature from codeplex called
"SharePoint 2013 Advanced Lookup" from https://sharepointlookup.codeplex.com. This is nice tool too, I can use as a tool for lookup (to external list) with autocomplete together. But when have activated both - speasyforms and some field as a advanced lookup type field created by Advanced Lookup feature - can't save item (whether it's creating new one or modifying existing).
Can you check it and solve to have a possibility to use both fetures together? Or can you update speasyforms to work with lookups from external lists with autocomplete depending on the content type? :D
Hope not to much wishes :)
Greatful for current job!
Thx in advance

Cheers Arek