This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Removing Code-Based Sandbox Solutions in SharePoint Online: Should we be afraid?

Aug 8, 2016 at 7:45 AM
Hello together,
I really love this solution and created several applications based on it.
One of this applications was setup within our O365 tennant and after the announcement of MS: Removing Code-Based Sandbox Solutions in SharePoint Online
I wonder if my application will survive?
I'm not a big developer, in order to estimate how the solution was implemented.
Are my worries baseless or will SP Easyforms stop working on SharePoint Online?
Best Regards
Michael
Coordinator
Aug 9, 2016 at 10:28 PM
Edited Aug 12, 2016 at 4:46 PM
SPEasyForms should continue to function just fine. It is not what Microsoft calls a code solution. A code solution deploys a DLL (dynamic link library) and runs managed code (C# or VB.Net). SPEasyForms is purely declarative, and using declarative statements to deploy client side code only. The operative parts of the announcement are:
Note that currently, we do not plan to deprecate or remove support for declarative (no-code) sandboxed solutions.
and:
At that time, we recommended that customers and partners transition their solutions to the add-in model or pure client-side development, which provide highly-scalable, cloud-first approaches to extending SharePoint.
SPEasyForms is a pure client-side solution that deploys it's client side code through a No Code Sandbox Solution, so it doesn't use anything that has been deprecated or will be removed. If they ever did decide to take away declarative sandbox solutions, SPEasyForms could easily be modified to deploy without using the sandbox, but the sandbox provides a nice uniform and easy way for non-coders to deploy it so I don't see a pressing need to change it.

Joe
Marked as answer by mcsheaj on 8/9/2016 at 3:28 PM
Aug 12, 2016 at 7:19 AM
Thanks a lot for the fast and detailed response!
This confirms my good feeling when using Sp Easy Forms, please keep up the great work!
Best Regards
Michael