This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Applies to field

Mar 15, 2016 at 8:59 AM
Hello, for some reason when i add applies to field to a user name (display name) after saving it just dissapears and does not apply. I am running sharepoint 2013 foundation, did anyone have such a issue ?
Mar 15, 2016 at 9:04 AM
My bad, dident do enough reading of the manual. Found out that applies to is focused only on groups. Is there a option to add individual sharepoint users?
Coordinator
Mar 15, 2016 at 2:43 PM
No, there is no such option, and that is by design. If you want to apply a rule to an individual user, you need to create a SharePoint group with just that user in it.

The reason it's by design is that I've done solutions like this before, and the sequence goes like this:
  1. I add the ability to create rules based on AD entities (users or groups), but I urge people to use SharePoint groups whenever possible.
  2. People ignore me, and create a bunch of forms with a bunch of rules based on AD entities (hopefully groups at least, but probably not).
  3. User X leaves your organization and is replaced by user Y. Group I is deleted, or worse splits into Groups J and K.
Then I start getting requests for tooling. i.e. Can you write me a tool that replaces all Xs in the site collection with Ys, etc. If you use SharePoint groups you don't have this problem. Remove user X from the group, add user Y, and all of your forms still work. If you're situation is too complex to use SharePoint groups (i.e. I have 300 users that I want to mix and match in thousands of rules), then your situation is too complex for SPEasyForms, you need something custom.

Joe
Marked as answer by mcsheaj on 3/15/2016 at 7:45 AM
Mar 15, 2016 at 3:21 PM
I completely understand your idea, the reason i asked for user specifialy is that im using this solution to set up a simple ticketing solution under IT site. Since theres only 3 of us it would have been easier to use the sharepoint user itself. But also since theres only 3 of us it is not that hard to create 3 sharepoint groups. Aniway thank you for the solution it saved me quite alot of time coding js.