This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

SHarePoint 2013 - SPEasyForm Ribbon Not Showing

Jun 1, 2015 at 5:03 PM
Installed the latest version of SPEasyForm and when I use it on one of my lists I do not see the control ribbon to execute containers of any other commands. The ribbon shows for just a moment then disappears.

I am on a SharePoint Enterprise 2013 version.

Let me know what other information you will need.

Bill
Coordinator
Jun 1, 2015 at 7:41 PM
If most lists are working, but one particular list is not, I'm going to need a lot more information on that list. At a broad stroke, all I can speculate is:

•There is another customization in play. For instance:
** I don't know how much of the documentation you've read, but a OOTB form can be pretty well completely altered in SharePoint designer by modifying the XSLT. If it's altered too much so it doesn't look anything like an OOTB form, SPEasyForms probably won't work on it.
** If the master page or CSS is significantly customized, it could certainly lead to the kind of rendering problems you're describing. However, if other lists on the same site using the same master page work fine, that would make this less likely.
** Could even be some other JavsScript inserted through a script editor web part.
•The other possibility I can think of is that you've found another list type that OOTB doesn't work with SPEasyForms. One that I didn't know about and should add to the not supported list (which right now is Survey's and Discussion Boards).

Anyway, I might be able to provide more specific guidance if you can provide me with more information about the list that isn't working:
•Is it on a site with a custom master page? If so: Do any lists on the same site using the same master page work correctly?
•Ideally, what is the list template id? Or even the list type that it was created from (i.e. Custom List, Announcements)? If you're not sure, maybe even a screen shot would help, in fact a screen shot would probably help a little either way.

Joe
Jun 10, 2015 at 3:11 PM
We have a deployment of our SP 2013 Enterprise platform with very little changes to the Masterpage (added our company logo in the banner area). So it should be considered OOTB. I have tried varying list and document library apps and they all work the same way.

How can include screenshots to this forum?
Coordinator
Jun 10, 2015 at 4:03 PM
Edited Jun 10, 2015 at 4:07 PM
First, how to get me screenshots, because it's a PITA. To include them in the discussion, you need to upload them someplace else where they're publicly accessible like picassa for instance, then hit the insert img button, and replace the URL with the URL to where you uploaded the image. Alternatively, you can send them to me via email. Just click my name in the discussion (i.e. mcsheaj), then hit the Contact link on my profile page. That will take you to a form that will send me an email directly from you. There isn't any way for you to attach something in that form, but when I reply it will be direct from me and you can reply with the screenshots.

Now, I'd love to consider your master page OOTB, but it's like this:
  • I don't have any code or CSS anywhere in my project that hides the ribbon at any time.
  • The ribbon shows on my OOTB 2013 enterprise site collections.
  • The only way the ribbon is being hidden is if some JavaScript or CSS is hiding it, or putting something else over top of it.
You see where I'm going? And of course, I'll probably be wrong ;). But the only way to be sure is to try it on a different brand new site collection on the same farm. If that doesn't work, then of course we have a problem, but unfortunately I don't have a lot of suggestions for how to fix it because I can't reproduce it right now. A slightly less sure-fire way to test would be to roll back your master page and see if you still have the problem. It's less sure-fire, because you could still have custom CSS or JavaScript lurking somewhere without realizing it.

Just Fyi, you're not the first person to run into this problem. I've had 3 separate reports of this kind of behavior counting you, so I'd really like to get to the bottom of it. One of them wrote in about the issue but never responded to my questions, but the other had a custom master page and I sent them the following instructions to try which fixed their issue:

One thing you could try is editing my settings page so it uses a hardcoded master page instead of the default master, and point it to the OOB v4.master. Take a look at this blog post to get the idea. So in ~sitecollection/Style Library/SPEasyForms/2014...(insert current version)/Pages/SPEasyForms.aspx, and change the MasterPageFile:
<%@Page Language="C#" Inherits="Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.WikiEditPage" MasterPageFile="~masterurl/default.master" %>
to
<%@Page Language="C#" Inherits="Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.WikiEditPage" MasterPageFile="~sitecollection/_catalogs/masterpage/v4.master" %>
Clearly they were on SharePoint 2010, so you would need to change v4.master to seattle.master, but the same concept should theoretically work (assuming you haven't modified seattle.master ;)).

Joe
Marked as answer by mcsheaj on 7/9/2015 at 9:08 PM
May 24, 2016 at 11:10 AM
Hey Joe,

We're also experiencing the issue (appeared randomly during development).

Just 1 list is showing this problem, others are fine.

I noticed there's a function on the customaction for the ribbon button called "javascript:shouldSPEasyFormsRibbonButtonBeEnabled()" which is called once you go to the relevant ribbon tab. The list in question does not trigger this call. This makes me thing it's a SP thing & the action is nog registered on this list (anymore)?

Let me know if I can give you more info.

Environment: SP2013, custom master page & styles.

Kind regards,
Cameron
May 24, 2016 at 11:12 AM
Ow yea, standard List in our case. Re-enabling the site collection features does not fix it.
May 24, 2016 at 12:43 PM
Final update: Nintex Workflow is also no longer shown...
May 24, 2016 at 12:55 PM
It's fixed now. Through this resource https://community.nintex.com/community/build-your-own/blog/2015/04/15/nintex-icons-missing-from-ribbon for the Nintex Workflows Ribbon action. For us it was the same, related to a view configured with toolbartype none.